What to Expect from Drug Rehab Treatment Center
Professional drug treatment has the potential to completely change the trajectory of an addicted person’s life. This is the general consensus from addiction experts, researchers, and addicts. Sobriety stories also extol the life-saving benefits of professional intervention and specialized care. Mostly after failed attempts with the do-it-yourself approach. Still, not knowing what to expect from drug rehab is a common deterrent that can cause some people to delay seeking treatment.
Years of the stigma attached to the addiction recovery process has contributed to the misunderstanding of what to expect from addiction treatment in the specialized care facility. Demystifying these erroneous myths is helpful in alleviating some of the concerns associated with the drug rehab experience.
While it is true that not all recovery centers provide optimum care, research shows that drug rehab facilities with accreditation certification are required to provide services that ensure the highest level of addiction intervention care. Drug rehab companies may be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and the Joint Commission (formerly JCAHO) which is the largest accreditor of health care services in the United States and the second largest accreditor of addiction treatment programs next to CARF.
Although a non-accredited rehab center may offer significant results for their clients, CARF accreditation ensures incorporation of the most current research available, evidence-based practices, adherence to clinical practice guidelines and personalized treatment programs. Certification also requires that they have specific written policies and procedures in place. Facilities that voluntarily seek accreditation are also shown to have the resources and commitment to continuously improve the quality of care they provide.
If you are seeking treatment at an accredited addiction treatment facility you can expect…
- An intake evaluation interview that entails comprehensive psychological and physiological assessments. This is an essential process that provides the addiction treatment team with pertinent information about the patient’s history with addiction, type or types of addiction, identification of any underlying medical condition and other important facts necessary to create an individualized treatment program. This process also identifies any mental health issues and enable recommendations for short or long-term treatment duration.
- Detoxification is an initial first step in the recovery process. In a comprehensive and integrated Drug rehab facility, this treatment is a medically monitored service that precedes participation in active intervention for at least 48 hours after the individual has been drug or alcohol-free. The average detoxification period typically ranges from 1 to 3 days. However, the duration of the detox process may be more extensive for patients with multiple or long-term addictions. Detoxing from alcohol or other chemical substances can present a range of symptoms that have the potential to escalate into a medical crisis situation.
- Active treatment encompasses multiple treatment modalities such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), individual, group and family therapy, animal-assisted therapy, psycho-educational groups, psychodrama, art therapy, stress management strategies, spiritual development, fitness and nutritional counseling, yoga, meditation and acupuncture to name a few. The individualization process facilitates the selection of programs that will be most beneficial or for which the patient may have a preference. In rehab, patients can also expect to gain a better understanding of themselves, the addiction process and their unique relationship with it.
- Relapse prevention training also highlights personal as well as universal triggers and equip the person in recovery with appropriate tools and aftercare programs that support lasting sobriety.
- During active treatment, various treatment modalities may be utilized. These may include cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), somatic therapy, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), individual psychotherapy, family therapy, equine-assisted therapy, art therapy, psycho-educational groups, psychodrama, art therapy, stress management strategies, spiritual development, fitness and nutritional counseling, and acupuncture among others. Effective drug rehab programs also recognize the significance of the mind-body-spirit connection. As such patients have the option to participate in various alternative treatment such as meditation, yoga and other techniques that have both research and empirical evidence to support their effects in restoring wholeness and balance.
- Family therapy and communication is a vital component of any recovery program. It educates and enhances communication skills between family members and the person in recovery. It is also an important factor in the relapse prevention process as it expands understanding of the loved one’s addiction and how to encourage and support lasting sobriety. Even so, family members should expect to have little or no communication with their loved one during the initial phase of their treatment.
- The treatment process can range between 30, 60 or 90-day periods. The duration of the treatment process is dependent on a number of variables such as the type or number of addictions, period of use, mental health and any other contributing conditions or factors that could derail their sobriety. Studies show patients with chronic, long-term and or co-occurring disorders achieve the greatest benefit from an extended care program that includes a stay at the residential treatment facility and in a transitional sober living home.
- Drug rehab facilities are designed to be safe, supportive and aesthetically pleasing environments that are conducive to healing and feelings of well-being.
Once you have committed to the drug rehab process, recognize that this is a journey, not a destination. The time in a rehab center helps you to stop habituated drug or alcohol abuse and prepare you for the challenges of living a sober lifestyle. The goal of any treatment process and addiction professionals is to provide the tools necessary to overcome addiction and support the long-term commitment to a drug-free life.
We at Ebb Tide Treatment Centers believe alcoholics and addicts can and do recover. Recovering from active addiction does not have to be a long, painful process. With the help of Ebb Tide’s caring and experienced staff, you and your loved ones will learn, and take proven steps necessary to achieve success by maintaining lasting sobriety. The goal of Ebb Tide Treatment Centers is to restore lives and families. With our help, you can regain control of your life from addiction and start living happily again. Your new life is just a phone call away. Call us today at 561-508-8330 or visit us at.
Ebb Tide Treatment Center
400 Executive Center
Dr. Suite 209
West Palm Beach,
© Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved.