Why Evidenced-Based Drug Addiction Treatment is the Best Option
A sobering reality about addiction is that many people only get one shot at recovery. Since no one can be certain who will get that second or third chance, the first treatment program should offer the greatest opportunity for long-term sobriety. And, while there is no doubt that any attempt at recovery is better than none, a facility that utilizes evidence-based drug addiction treatment is recognized as offering the best option for recovery. That’s because the success rate of recovery based on these practices are validated by scientific and empirical data. However, due to the complexities of addiction, the benefits of evidence-based treatments are heightened when the administration is malleable to the patient’s response.
What is Evidence-Based Addiction Treatment?
Evidence-based drug addiction practice (EBP) provides guidelines for treatment models that are based on the most current evidence of their effectiveness. EBP’s are supported by clinicians that sometimes occur over a period of years that study the impact of substance abuse on the human body and treatment solutions to curb or reverse negative effects. In multiple clinical trials, thousands of people struggling with substance abuse volunteer to help test the effects and risk factors of pharmacological and behavioral therapy.
Although research parameters may vary based on genetics, type of substance, environmental issues, the physical and mental health of participants, these practices are typically developed through repetitious and laborious data evaluation. They help to guide patient care in order to achieve the best possible outcomes for those seeking treatment for drug addiction. Some of the objectives of the evidence-based approach are to identify:
- Whether or why a particular treatment works.
- Ways to develop standardized care that adapt clinical expertise to the patient’s unique physiological reactions to addiction.
- The potential benefits or risk factors of the treatment intervention.
- Best practice guidelines that also inform and facilitate the ongoing improvement of addiction rehabilitation practices.
Some types of evidence-based addiction treatment models described by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) includes:
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) help to change negative patterns of behavior.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is one of the most widely used evidence-based practices in addiction recovery. It is designed to improve mental health, develop problem-solving skills and personal coping strategies, regulate emotions, reduce episodes of depression and restore healthy thought patterns.
- Contingency Management (CM) utilize stimulus control and positive reinforcement to change drug use patterns of behavior.
- The Community Reinforcement Approach (CRA) is a behavioral program that directly addresses the issue of environmental contributors to substance-abuse.
- The Family Behavioral Therapy (FBT) model has received recognition for positive outcomes in the treatment of both adolescents and adults with substance addictions. Its strategies provide individuals and their families with motivational tools to successfully address substance abuse problems that derail family and community life such as domestic conflicts, physical abuse of family members, unemployment, criminal activity, and victimization. This EBP is frequently used in conjunction with the Contingency Management model.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI) is based on the concept of collaboration versus confrontation. This therapy is designed to encourage the addicted person to become more invested and engaged in their own recovery process.
Benefits of Evidence-Based Treatment
One of the essential benefits of evidence-based drug addiction treatment is that it allows for measurement of the effectiveness as well as provide oversight of drug rehabilitation care. Other benefits include providing the general public with more cost-effective addiction treatments that are based on thorough academic, scientific and empirical assessment. It also allows for more uniformity, professional judgment and the utilization of appropriate techniques in circumstances that may necessitate alterations or changes.
We at Ebb Tide Treatment Centers believe alcoholics and addicts can and do recover. Recovering from active addiction does not have to be a long, painful process. With the help of Ebb Tide’s caring and experienced staff, you and your loved ones will learn, and take proven steps necessary to achieve success by maintaining lasting sobriety. The goal of Ebb Tide Treatment Centers is to restore lives and families. With our help, you can regain control of your life from addiction and start living happily again. Your new life is just a phone call away. Call us today at 561-508-8330 or visit us at
Ebb Tide Treatment Center
3385 Burns Rd #108
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
© Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved.